Friday, March 1, 2013

The bomb site

It's lunchtime. 4 hours since work started and 8 hours since I got here and saw this.

Biryanis for all are on their way. Possibly with two more rakes to assist in the raking of the ground.. I doubt it though as I personally tried three places and all sold the business end of a rake but none the handles. Quite frustrating. Especially when the ice-cream you're adding to the biryani bribe is melting in the back of the tuk-tuk. Ramesh, the tuk tuk driver, is a very nice guy who earnestly wants to do well. His utter lack of English and nerves make him a little difficult at times, however and if he had asked me one more time if I really needed a handle for the rakes (each!) I might have lost it.

While they've been working with some great results already, I've been to the bank, met with my lawyer, written a long letter, made a lot of decisions and did a lot of discussing. Bought vegetables and limes and ice and now I'm starting to flag. I've had 2 hours sleep in 31 and today has been quite stressful as I really didn't want to sit in a building site for the next few days which are supposed to be about relaxing after a busy month.

That starts when all of the very good workmen who have been here today leave tonight, not to come back until Monday. And it really starts when M and J arrive tomorrow. 

My toes remain in the most disgusting unpedicured state ever as I have been too busy to get to a salon. I did get the skin nibbling fish treatment for a few minutes whilst waiting to speak to my lawyer (now, you don't get that in Dubai!) and was genuinely disturbed by how many fish could nibble at once. It felt quite peculiar and I want to go back there and do it again after the pedicure that I will be enjoying with J tomorrow.

My next task is to find out how to do that and to try to make an appointment. Everybody I've met so far, bar maybe a few people, seem not to want to plan more than about 3 seconds ahead. I find it infuriating but recognise that that very fact is part of why I love it here. It forces me to slow down.

Still, can't wait to see what they'll have done by nightfall. There will be pictures soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice!