Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Getting around (further afield)

We're about 8 kilometres from the airport here. That's one of the reasons I bought - I wanted to know that I could get on a plane in Dubai and 5 hours later be somewhere completely different - not in an airport. I love Dubai but I also need greenery and peace. Within one hour of being here I feel like I've been on holidays for a few days. And that's now i.e. before I've painted and improved!

But, at some stage, one might feel the need to explore a bit further afield and Sri Lanka certainly has a lot to offer. From the beautiful fort city of Galle in the south to amazing Kandy in the centre there are interesting people to meet, beautiful sights to see and, of course, elephants! Getting anywhere used to involve either road or rail travel.

Road, as has been covered elsewhere in this blog, can be dangerous and certainly takes lots longer than it should because of the state of the road surface. There is a new highway from Colombo to Galle however and, although I haven't been on it yet, I'm told it's much faster and safer.

Rail is fine. It's not expensive but it also doesn't always run on time. The trains, even the express ones, also stop a lot.

The answer, I think, is sea taxi i.e a sea plane. The same price as a road taxi but lots faster and a great way to see how beautiful the country is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice!