Monday, May 7, 2012

Getting around

Getting around is easy. You just need a good tuk tuk driver. Finding a good tuk tuk driver is harder. Depending on your definition of good. I'd like one who knows where he's going or, if not, can find out. Someone who has petrol in the engine, a mobile phone with credit and who knows the time would be good too. If, on top of that, they speak a few words of English, smile at me, don't proposition me and don't try overcharge me by more than 10% I  may be in love.

Shiny, the previous owner, has already introduced me to 3 tuk tuk drivers who seem to fit the bill and I'm very happy about that.

The alternative is to drive or cycle. I don't drive in Dubai because there is no need for another bad driver there. That is even more true of Sri Lanka which has traffic worse than almost anywhere I've heard of and certainly as bad as China! Nonetheless I will be finding out decent, safe places from where to hire bicycles, motor bikes/scooters, helmets and cars so that my guests who are bound to be braver than me can do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice!