Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Water, bed

Yesterday morning I woke up at 6 and, as usual, checked my emails. There was a lovely one from an Irish guy I met in Istanbul airport the other day and he asked if I was planning my next trip to Sri Lanka. I looked at my diary and realised I had a few free days so I got onto Emirates and arranged a flight for 0245

I packed and carried on with my day as normal. This was a mistake as my normal last Tuesday of the month involves going to the Capital Club and drinking too much. For this reason I slept like a baby on the plane (frightening the steward as I learned this morning by snarling at him when he woke me for food)  and now have a headache. A bad one.

I arrived at 915 Sri Lanka time and was picked up by my Sri Lankan family. We dropped things off at the house and realised that although, thank God, the internet works, there is no bed and no running water. Hmmm. I rather need both. Now. 

So the last few hours have been spent getting organised. And eating Brayen's mum's delicious lunch of fish curry, beetroot symbol (?) and apple and cucumber salad. Now I have the cabana set up with a mattress and a mosquito net. Actually, let's be honest. Brayen's mum and brother have done that. Brayen's dad has all the necessary for making the water work and is about to start fixing it when he's finished putting a lock on the door.  

As it turns out, not having water or a bed doesn't really feel stressful when you're surrounded by beauty and have good people who can make things happen. I'm very lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice!