Friday, July 6, 2012

The continuing progress..


Hurrah. Clearly I'm now connected which is another big step forward. The electricians turned up and there are lights most places (with shades) although there's quite a few still waiting as it turns out that I've gone a bit light crazy. They're coming again today I hear.

The girls tidied up the "shack" and drinks were drunk with LankaLogger and her lovely husband. I think I might have fallen very lucky here as they got stuck into the Negroni and none of us got finish a story without interruptions and digressions (on their part, sensible and erudite. Sitting on soft cushions with lights, overlooking the lagoon was pretty great too and I continued to do that for quite some time after they left, munching on the delicious, crusty home-made bread they kindly brought. If you want to learn about the difficulties/fun of cooking here then have a look at this. 

Although we can't unpack them yet as the kitchen still needs painting, all of the essentials for the kitchen are now bought, including an enormous mortar and pestle and a ridiculous number of spice jars. There are also some fun things like bowls/glasses made of coconut with little tops through which you can put a coconut spoon or a straw and some things that I can't imagine using but absolutely needed like a think for making string hoppers. The fact they're all still packed means no photos but also means that, when we finally get to do so, it will be like Christmas. I now own a lot of pots and bowls and tupperware type things in what, as I understand it, will be a constant battle against ants. 

I'm going to clean some cupboards today or, actually, get someone else to do it and then I'm going to have fun filling them with things.

And the ceiling man is coming today so, by the end of today or, at worst, Monday, there will be proper ceilings in the main house and nice, clean fans installed. 

We've also got, and I hope you'll forgive my indelicacy, a new lavatory and sink for the main bathroom as the sickly blue colour of the previous set made me feel ill. I also need to change the lavatory in the cabana as it is broken. A fact that came to light when the tiling was being done.That means that I have just got rid of a lavatory from the property (here since Shiny) and now I'm going to have to live with two more for another week until the bin men come next Friday. Bathroom should be done by Monday evening.

Tomorrow Brayen's mum and dad go off on a shopping trip. They will come back with tables made from one huge tree; pallets matching the "shack" to make a fence of, coconut leaf matting to repair the shack roof (bought from some poor old lady they like apparently); screens for when it rains and some big pots we'll use when we get gutters and rain things as well as as water containers in the bathrooms (plastic bins don't do it for me). These things should be in situ by Wednesday and the external light fixtures will be done by then too.

Sunday will be dead. And then it will all start again on Monday. If the painter turns up and the carpenter has done the screen then by Wednesday I should be able to have my first massage in the "shack" on the lagoon. As I've been dreaming of for so long! 

Then it'll be about finding a sofa and organising a yoga class and unpacking. This really has been quite a project and coordinating things is something we're all getting better at.  The book may have to wait a week or two!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice!