Friday, July 13, 2012

I'm mobile!

I have spent 4 years without a car, public transport or a bicycle. I live in Dubai and don't want the hassle of driving and, although the metro is a great service, I usually use taxis. This is especially true during the Summer months when even the 2 minute walk from the metro to where I'm going is horrid.

Here in Sri Lanka the equivalent is the 3-wheeler or tuk-tuk and they're great so I won't get a car here. I'd love to get a tuk-tuk but apparently it's quite a complicated procedure here (unlike India I'm told). So it's a motorbike or bicycle. Obviously it's not going to be a motorbike as I'm a complete physical coward  so it's a bicycle.

Last night I tried the painter's old sit-up-and-beg and was immediately transported back to Japan and China and using the bike to get around for the basic daily runaround. So I asked Brayen and his Dad to keep an eye out. This morning at 0730 they turned up with a bike. We need to attach a bell and a basket but I've already been out to the main road and it was gorgeous.

Cycling is the perfect way to get around. You glide past at a sensible pace - allowing you to see and hear what's going on around you and keep going with just a smile and a wave or, alternatively, stop and get involved. And so many other people are also on bikes that the dogs seem to accept it. I immediately felt closer to the community too.

There are no photos because I still don't have a mirror. I have now not seen myself for over a week. And, as a friend pointed out, it's probably just as well. I've got a party tomorrow and I don't know if I want to meet any more new people whilst looking like Shrek!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice!