Friday, July 6, 2012

Tradition!

A couple of days ago I was asked if I wanted to do a little ceremony that is traditional when moving into a new house. Today we appear to have made sufficient progress (although the trip by the parents is postponed until Tuesday so the chances of all being done by Wednesday have disappeared) for it to happen.  So we used the coconut scraper to empty a coconut of all its flesh and then added water before blitzing the whole mixture in the blender. I then pushed it through a strainer and we boiled the milk. I was instructed to think happy thoughts of good luck and prosperity when setting fire to the wood and tried not to simply focus on hoping that a fire indoors wouldn't burn down the house and so impede our progress somewhat! We then watched the milk boil before allowing it to cool and sprinkle it around the house. All the pictures are here.

Oh, and case you thought it was all charming and lovely, the bloody water supply has stopped. Just as I was about to have a fully functioning bathroom. Grrr. 

2 comments:

  1. I think we should have a coconut-husking contest at the par-tee on the 14th. By the way, your photo link is a dead 'un.

    As for everything being charming and lovely, as they say in Italian, 'non c'e' rosa senza spina'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks T,

    I hadn't allowed it to be seen by others - I've fixed it now.

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice!